Guidelines for Name Change and Date of Birth Correction, 2021
The Name Change Service shall be provided if a person has not availed the service before on fulfilling the following conditions:
- Religious Ground: Certification by Zhung Dratshang/Udzin/Head of institution must be produced in original along with duly completed Name Change form No. BCRS-NC&AC-01 for change of name owing to prolonged illness before, during and after the issuance of a new Citizenship Identity card.
- Prior to enrollment in schools: The parents shall complete the following:
- Complete Name Change form No. BCRS-NC&AC-01
- Application of parents specifying the reason for change
- The name change for students till Class IX shall be facilitated based on the School Progress Report/Academic transcript.
- The name change for students who are in possession of Class X academic transcript shall be facilitated based on such academic transcript if the applicant is processing for the first time. However, such name change shall not be facilitated if they are already issued with 3G CID cards.
- For all other categories irrespective of the profession, the name change shall not be entertained if they are issued with 3rd Generation Citizenship Identity card.
The name spelling correction shall be accorded based on the relevant testimonials and documentary evidence and shall not be equated to name change.
Correction of DoB
The correction of DoB service shall be provided if a person has not availed the service before on fulfilling the following conditions:
6. Typographical error: The correction of DoB for a child prior to the enrolment in school and monastic institution will be facilitated based on the Birth Registration Form and Health documents submitted during the initial registration.
7. The correction of Day and Month if recorded as 01-01-YYYY with no change in Year shall be facilitated based on documentary evidence for students and in-service employees of government, corporation, private and NGOs who are issued with 3rd Generation Citizenship Identity card. The date of appointment for in-service employees and year of progress report/academic transcript for students should precede the date of issue of 2G/3G cards.
8. Person issued with the 2nd Generation Citizenship Identity card and applying for correction during Renewal or Replacement:
- The two National Census records of 1990-1993 and 1999-2003 shall be the basis of verification and validation for person born before or during that particular period of time; or
- The school academic transcript shall be basis provided the year of examination precedes the Date of Issue of the 2G card;
- Notwithstanding above provisions 8 (b), the correction of DoB shall not be facilitated if it results in change of birth order among his/her own siblings.
9. Person applying for correction while processing New CID/SR card for the first time:
- The two National Census records of 1990-1993 and 1999-2003 shall be the basis of verification and validation for a person born before or during that period of time; or
- For those students who are issued Class X certificate by BCSEA shall be the basis of verification and validation;
- For those students below the 10th standard, the school progress report/academic transcript of completed standard shall be the basis of verification and validation;
- Notwithstanding above provisions 9 (b) and (c), the academic transcript with different name and date of birth against the civil registration record shall not be used as basis;
- Notwithstanding above provisions 9 (b) and (c), the correction of DoB shall not be facilitated if it results in change of birth order among his/her own siblings.
10. The correction of DoB shall not be facilitated for those births registered after the implementation of the online Bhutan Civil Registration System except for typographical error at the time of registration.
11. The correction of DoB for Regularization and Naturalization shall not be facilitated.
12. Any records of external agencies issued/maintained subsequent to issuance of Citizenship Identity card shall not be facilitated for correction in Bhutan Civil Registration System.
The Civil Registration and Census Officials of the Department, Dzongkhag, Thromde and Drungkhag shall be guided by the above procedures for the Name Change and Correction of DoB.